Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Boa noitte!

Hey everyone,

We’re sitting in our kitchen at 11:30 pm eating peanuts and drinking chocolate milk. We really like the chocolate milk. We went to the grocery store today and bought about 20 little boxes of it. When you’re overseas you definitely find a few items at the grocery store that you just have to have on a regular basis…right now, chocolate milk is one of those items.


(Jen): I’m currently waiting for Talia to log on to tetrisfriends.com. Today is our regularly scheduled “Tetris Tuesday.” While I’m waiting, I figured I could update you guys about the past couple of days.

The last member of our team arrived yesterday. She is a 31 year old doctor (surgical pathology). I just want to say that our teammates are really smart! In addition to the doctor (Susan), we have two people studying civil engineering, a lawyer, a teacher, and a bunch of girls who are still in school. We have a wide age range on this team – our youngest player is about 18 years old and the oldest is 33. Three of the older players played college basketball in the US - one played at East Carolina, one at the University of Texas San Antonio, and another at a college in Virginia (we can’t remember what college). We also have one teammate who is studying for her ACT right now because she wants to be able to play in the states.

Tina and I didn’t do much on Sunday. We went to Mass Saturday evening so Sunday morning we slept in. Our bus pass had expired so we couldn’t really go anywhere, but it was ok because it was nice to just rest and relax and get ready for another week. We did walk to dinner down in Algés, and instead of going our normal route, we took the scenic route that took us a little bit closer to the water – beautiful!







(Tina): I forgot to mention this in the last blog: Last Friday I had my 3rd allergic reaction of my life. I have no idea what I am allergic to – I should probably get that checked out. The first time it happened was about 2 years ago, and I was in the US. The second time it happened was last year in Slovakia. As far as I am aware, I didn’t eat or do anything out of the ordinary. Now that it has happened twice, I can sort of feel it coming on. We had just finished practice, and I was stretching when I noticed that my head and neck were really, really itchy. I didn’t think anything of it at first, and then I just realized what was happening. I told Jen that I needed to hurry up, shower, and get back to the apartment to take some Benadryl. We started talking to our coach about some basketball stuff, and I was trying really hard to not look crazy, but I could not stop scratching. My whole face was itching! Anyways, Jen finally told him what was happening so that kind of ended the conversation, and I went to shower. I wanted to just go back to the apartment right away, but of course Jen didn’t want to pass up the free dinner. We went to the restaurant, ate dinner, and then speed walked home (I would have ran, but I was too tired!). By the time I got home, I was starting to break out in hives all over my arms, back, stomach, and legs! Aaaaah…..so annoying! I took some Benadryl, and after about an hour, it started to kick in, and I felt a little relief. I went to bed, slept great, and woke up the next morning like it had never happened. It’s the weirdest thing!

(Jen): It’s really weird how when I met Tina she wasn’t allergic to anything, but now, 6 years later, she has these weird reactions, and I feel like I need to carry extra medication with me just in case my “sick little friend” needs them!

Anyway, we have a tournament this weekend against all of the other teams in the league. It’s a preseason tournament. Our first game is Friday, and we are playing the #1 team from last year. We have put in quite a few plays in the past week so it will be nice to get to play against another team. And it will just be nice to see what the competition is like in this league.

I think some of our teammates are trying to plan a team dinner or something this weekend so that will be fun!

We’ll write more later in the week. God bless you all!

~Jen and Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment