Sunday, November 15, 2009

Our New Friend Šimon

We have a kitty! His name is Šimon (it’s pronounced ‘Simon’ but with an ‘sh’). We were at lunch last week and then after lunch we decided to go to the bank to finish getting some things set up with our accounts. It’s about a 5 minute walk from the restaurant to the bank. We were walking, and it was kinda raining a little bit. We had walked about one minute when I (Tina) heard a ‘meow.’ I looked around and saw a cute little kitty sitting underneath a parked car. It looked so sad and cold being out in the rain. I walked over to it and stuck my hand out towards it and it came right to me. A car drove by and it ran under the car again but then it came right back out to me. Jen was standing on the sidewalk and told me to pick it up. I picked it up, and it just curled right up in my arms. We started walking with it to the bank, talking about what to do with it. When we got to the bank, we didn’t want to leave it outside so we took it in with us. We figured that if anyone had a problem with it we could just play the “I don’t understand what you’re saying” card. Nobody seemed to mind. After the bank we were getting ready to drive home. We decided to take him with us.



When we got home, the first thing we did was give him a bath. He was surprisingly really good about it. He tried to escape a couple of times, but for the most part, he just stood there and let us wash him. We drove to the store and bought some kitty litter and food. When we gave him the food, he ate like an animal that hadn’t been fed in days. I know I keep referring to this cat as a “he,” but to be honest, we aren’t sure if it’s a girl or a boy. We looked up on the computer how to tell if a cat is a male or female, but we still aren’t sure. Obviously the name Šimon is a boy’s name so we are just gonna go with that unless we find out different.





I don’t know a whole lot about cats, and to be honest, I don’t really like them that much. Jen has a cat so she knows more than I do. Both of us were shocked at how much Šimon wanted to be with us. Most cats that I’ve been around seem like they want to do their own thing and just come back when they want food or something. Not this cat. He follows us around like a little puppy. If we sit on the couch, he is curled up on top of us or right next to us. If we get up, so does he. We don’t let him come in our bedrooms or in the kitchen though so that requires some disciplining on our part. He is trained pretty well, but sometimes he still tries to sneak in. If he disobeys too many times we just put him in the bathroom and close the door for a little while.



We are very thankful for Šimon because he brightens up our days. We look forward to coming back to our apartment to see him. When we are just sitting on the couch being bored, it’s fun to watch him. We gave him a couple little balls that I had brought with me. He loves playing with them. He will chase them all around the living room, then stop, wait, and pounce again. You have a lot of free time when you’re overseas which is great but can sometimes be a little boring. Šimon helps the boring times not seem so boring. Thanks Šimon, and thanks God for bringing Šimon to us :-)




“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” -1 John 5:14

Until next time,
Jen and Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment